Resources for Children and Families Experiencing Separation and/or Divorce
Sometimes parents decide to stop living with one another and one of the biggest challenges they face is co-parenting and supporting their children through this very big transition.
There are many resources online that can support parents with the transition for themselves and for their children. Adjusting to two different rhythms, two homes and new schedules.
Supporting very young children through divorce and separation is not something I have a lot of experience or training with, however there are many experts I trust on this subject and others.
Below is list of resources I recently compiled for parents and carers going through separation or divorce who are looking to support their very young children (ages 2-7) through the transition and conversations in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Janey Lansbury: Helping a Child Adjust to Two Households or Other Changes in Care.
- Podcast interview on Simplicity Parenting approach and Divorce
- Book recommendations for parents and children
- Mr Roger’s episode that really lovingly, non-judgementally explains divorce and separation to young children in a developmentally appropriate way.*
- Helping Your Child Through a Divorce from KidsHealth.org
- Examining Divorce from a Developmental Perspective by Nancy Adler
*Parents please watch this first to see if Mr Roger’s approach to the conversation resonates with you- this is a very personal experience and the way he presents the topic may not be in alignment with your approach
If your family has gone through the transition and there are particular resources that helped you please share them below in the comments.
DISCLOSURE: This journal entry contains a link to Amazon.com. Meagan from Whole Family Rhythms is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. amazon.ca and amazon.uk Thank you for your support.